Sometimes, I wish I was still a kid. Life was so easy back then.
Sometimes, I want to be that little girl again:
Me circa 1986
I'm feeling very nostalgic right now...
Life is good but it could be better.
But I feel that I can't complain because I know that some people may envy me for all the things I have.
But sometimes it's hard to appreciate all the things I have because I'm worried about my future. I do have a university degree but right now, it doesn't guarantee me a job at all.
My master degree will not help either, I think. I feel very very very insecure right now.
We moved km away because the boyfriend got a job, after months of being unemployed (almost a year). I didn't want to move but we didn't really have the choice, he could not find a job in Québec city (well, in fact, he could have find one, he turned down an offer) and his unemployment benefits were ending.
He has been working at his new job for 6 months now. And he doesn't like it. At all. Day after day, he tells me that his job is boring. It makes me mad. Really really mad. Because of all the sacrifices I made for him, because he asked me to do so. I'm mad because he quit his job last year to travel around Asia and that he told me to not be worried, that he would easily find a job in Québec city when he would be back (you can see that he didn't. Because he was picky, in fact, this is why.). If he had not quit his job, we would still be living in Québec city, I think. I'm mad because I moved back there for him. I was not happy to have to move, I was less than thrilled because I liked so much living in Qc city. And I can't find a job here, in our small hometown, right now. I don't like running into someone I know here and got questioned, and having to tell the person that I don't have a big girl job yet, despite my university degree. I'm mad because here, people who don't have a higher education make big money. It's so frustrating because I spent thousands of dollars to get an education. I'm mad because in 2 weeks, I will have to leave for Montréal (I will be living at my sister's apartment) to complete a work contract for 5 weeks and I don't like being in a distance relationship (we did that for years already, I had enough!). I need the money, so I have to go. It's a job I love to do (marking college dissertations), but the distance is killing me.
I'm mad because he is well paid and still, our expenses are almost 50/50. I told him what I thought about me paying the same amount of money for rent, food, and he doesn't want to pay more than he already does, he doesn't want to help me out, can you imagine?! He didn't say exactly that he didn't want at all, but it sounded a lot like that. He seemed really reticent about that. I'm not a princess, I don't want him to pay everything, just to help me out for a couple of months, you see. He sees that I struggle a lot these days, with my thesis, adjusting to our new life, etc, but he doesn't seem to want to help me with the money aspect and that help would be a big relief for me. He should be the one proposing that help. This is probably the reason why I'm so mad right now. I'm mad because I can't do all the things we would like to do together, like traveling. He wants to make big plans, but I can't because of my money issues. I have students loans and he doesn't (he was debt free when he graduated, seriously).
I'm mad because I've always been there for him, I've always been the comprehensive girlfriend. And he knows it, maybe too well.
I love him. He loves me, I know that. I really do.
But something is wrong.
I know that money has and will always be a delicate subject in a relationship but I never thought that it would apply to mine. I'm really mad, what else can I say?!?
I know that I should talk to him again about that subject, to make things clear.
I know that I should talk to him again about that subject, to make things clear.
I'm a mess right now because I'm hurt, because I have so much on my mind. Like I have been trying to finish my thesis for months now and I don't see the end of it. I just keep telling to myself that having a master degree will change nothing, so why should I continue to write it? The answer is that I'm proud, my master degree cost me thousands of dollars, I don't want that money to be wasted like that, no way! So I will continue to write it, I will finish it. By summer.
I feel better now that I have written all that stuff.
But I'm still hurt.
But I'm still hurt.
You should totally have another talk with him to let him know all that stuff you have talked about here!
ReplyDeleteHe should be helping you, he is your boyfriend...
You and your boyfriend have been together for years and years now and you are even living together. You guys should be working as a team to overcome eachother's hardships. So as your boyfriend, he should be willing to help you in any way possible. It's selfish of him to not see the sacrifices you have been making for him so I think it's really important for you to point out how much effort you have been putting into the relationship. Right now you are putting more of yourself into the relationship than he is and he needs to be aware of it! There will be times when he is making more money like right now, and there will be a time when you are making more money. Either way, it's not about the money and I would be mad too because it seems like he is being a little greedy. It's about working together and make sure you tell him that! I am so sorry you have to do the long distance thing again :( Wish I could give you a hug right now! Hope that you guys can have a nice talk and work through this!
ReplyDeleteWhew! That is a lot to take on and deal with. One day at a time and eventually it will be better. Even if its not better tomorrow, try to look at the bigger picture.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you!
Hello, from Oklahoma!!
ReplyDeleteI just stumbled upon your blog! I am newest follower!!
http://jodie-rae.blogspot.com/
Wow, that's a lot. I get the sense from you that you want to be married and make a bigger committment in your relationship. This is a test that the two of you are going through. I would communicate with him how you feel, and see what comes of that.
ReplyDeleteIf he is not on the same page as you and is not willing to work with you (and you should work with him! But it seems like you are already), then I would think long and hard about that.
I am not a stranger to sacrifices, my husband moved to DC for me, without a job, without any friends, and we worked together. Right now he is moving back to NY for me, doesn't have a job, doesn't have a lot, but we're going to work on it together. My point being, you and your boyfriend are a team, and you need to make sure he's a team player and not thinking this is a solo game.
I understand how you feel, I really do, I understand how he feels because my husband was in a job he hated when we first moved here and he was miserable for a while. But, five years later, we're moving away from DC and hopefully we will be a lot happier. It might be a long journey for you and your boyfriend, but make sure that you're happy with the sacrifices you make and that you and your boyfriend are on the same page with everything.
I know exactly how you feel about being well educated and not having the big girl job you are hoping for. I'm all too familiar with that- it's the same situation I am in. You are totally right. Having a higher degree does not guarantee you a job and that does make you feel like you wasted time, money and effort. You didn't though. Your hard work and degree will pay off.
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel about your man being unemployed too. My boyfriend lost his job back in January and he has done like nothing to find another one. It's super frustrating.
Feel free to whine (this is your blog after all) and remember everything always works out. Don't worry, your future is as bright as you are. =)
Your master degree is important to you an you'll feel good about yourself when you finish. Once you have it no-one can take it away from you and then you can get out there and find that job that's waiting for you.
ReplyDeleteTake a deep breath and try the money subject again. He obviously doesn't understand how you're feeling so explain again. A relationship isn't a one-way street!
ummmm cutest baby photo ever??? yes, yes I think so.
ReplyDeleteOh, and getting your masters degree is TOTALLY the best feeling of accomplishment in the world!!! Just fyi ;) Love your blog, btw. LOVE.
Following!